Bret Waters has spent his whole career in Silicon Valley, helping to drive digital innovation in various roles as an entrepreneur, investor, and academic.
He regularly says that running Tivix is the most fun he's ever had, working with a ridiculously smart team to help clients to develop, launch, and scale innovative new digital platforms.
Bret also teaches at Stanford University twice a year, delivering a popular open-enrollment course on entrepreneurship, design thinking, and innovation methodology.
Additionally, he serves as a mentor for the Global Social Benefit Institute program at Santa Clara University, helping social entrepreneurs create innovation that makes the world a better place. This summer he will be serving as a mentor with the European Innovation Academy.
Bret has a deep passion for bringing innovation to the field of K-12 education, having served as interim CEO for Stanford New Schools at Stanford University, and six years on the board of the Stanford University Graduate School of Education.
But nothing will ever exceed his passion for fish tacos.
Bret holds an MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.
Blog posts by Bret
- Business and Physics.
- Hiring at Tivix. What we select for.
- Continuous innovation, wine, and food.
- Congrats to our client CrowdStreet on another $3.5M in venture funding.
- Values > Plans
- Congratulations to Syapse!
- Introducing Carpe, a new financial services platform
- Innovation Methodology and Sports
- November 11
- Creating innovation that matters.
- Cashless is King
- Optimizing Human Capital
- On Open Source Software Today
- I believe that social entrepreneurs can change the world.
- You know what's cool? A billion dollars.
- Culture eats process for lunch.
- Why the "Why?" matters.
- Security in the Cloud
- Building software that matters.
- Congrats to our client Marlette Funding
- Our thoughts on 2015 trends in software application development.
- We're looking for a few (more) great people.
- Thanksgiving Thoughts on a Great Team
- Fixed Mindset and Growth Mindset
- Steve Blank on Creating Innovation Centers within Large Corporations
- Big Data, Big Data, Big Data, Swing!
- How Mindfulness Saved My Life (and made me better at business).
- Creating Centers of Innovation
- Congrats to our client, SwiftStack
- Crowdfunding. The revolution is just beginning.
- Just Learn.
- Digital Democracy
- Content is King. But Platforms are Gods.
- Graduating from college? Get a job in sales.
- Why Presentation and Writing Skills Matter
- Mobile money is about to explode.
- Women, in Computer Science?
- Baltic Tigers
- Communication Breakdown, 2014 Style
- Gender Diversity in the Workplace
- Sankara Eye Care Institute
- The value of full-immersion kickoff meetings.
- Venture Capital Alternatives
- Growth Hacking
- Global Social Benefit Institute
- Founder Depression
- Avoid the Echo Chamber Effect (and launch better products).
- 3 Myths about MVPs
- Our Hiring Secrets, Revealed
- MOOCs, Revisited.
- Smartphone OS Market Share
- Mary Meeker's Internet Trends 2014
- Business Process Platforms for Efficiency
- 6 things I've learned about being an entrepreneur
- Brand Style Guides and Kick-Ass Applications
- Getting Stuff Done
- Managing Global Teams
- Tivix in Bend, Oregon
- Tivix in Poland
- On Entrepreneurship Education
- The Flock to Mobile
- On Entrepreneurial Success
- Tivix and the World Food Program
- Lessons from MLK
- Join us Jan 15th at the Entrepreneurs' Saloon
- Tivix to produce new platform for the European Commission
- Steve Blank on Metrics that Matter
- Thoughts on the Obamacare technology glitches
- Fostering Innovation
- Big Data Meets K-12 Education
- Avoiding Train Wrecks (and delivering successful software development engagements).
- 50 Coffees
- The mobile wave has only just begun.
- Hive Update - 22 million stories and counting!
- Congratulations to CloudVelocity on Closing a $13 Million Round of Funding
- Announcing Hive
- The new Tivix.com
- Our Neighbor
- It's About Execution - Nail It, Then Scale It
- Some Trends for 2012